Senior Trip, part 2 – Uyuni

We traveled by bus to Oruro and then by train to Uyuni, arriving VERY late and trying to get some chicken for supper.  In the meantime, one of our students who had troubling breathing in La Paz because of the altitude was having more trouble in Uyuni.  So Debbie and another student took her to the clinic to get some oxygen.  After many phone conversations home and talking between us, we decided that I would take this student on to Sucre a day early in the hopes that the lower altitude would help her feel much better.  Before we left though, we were able to spend a day in the Salt Flats with the rest of the class.  The flats were so bright it looked like a snow covered paradise.  The sky was crystal clear and the whole day was an adventure!  To get the salt, the people will come and pile it up, leave it for a few days for the water to drain out, and then shovel the piles into the back of a truck.  Image

On our tour in SUVs, we also saw a salt hotel and the flags of many different visitors.  Image

It was fun to see the kids look for their “other” home country among the flags.


While we were on the salt flats, we had to try a number of different pictures.  And I experienced my first ever jumping shot:



When it was time for lunch, our tour guides took us to a rock island and prepared picnic lunches on salt tables and chairs.


We got to climb around a bit, view more of the surroundings, and even see a baby llama before it was time for my student and I to head back to town. ImageImageImage

On our way back, Abby and I were able to stop and see a Train Graveyard full of rusted-out engines, cabooses, and other wagons.  I would have liked to climb around, but didn’t know how safe the area would be.


Later that night, Abby and I boarded a bus for 8 hours, complete with kittens mewing.  Neither one of us slept well, but at least we didn’t have any trouble.  When we got to Sucre at 3:30 in the morning, a taxi driver took us to our hotel and a kind night attendant opened the doors and let us in.  He carried our bags up the 3 flights of stairs to our room and then told me registration could wait until after I woke up.  He must have noticed that both of us needed a good long sleep before we were able to function like humans. 🙂

More on Sucre in Senior Trip, Part 3!


Posted on April 20, 2013, in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: